Sunday, April 21, 2013

Excel (or Office) 2003 Document Doesn't Open from a SharePoint List's Link in a Client Application

If you setup a SharePoint Library or list to open in a client application, then the Office document or attachment will open in MS Office 2003 as expected. However, if you open a link from a URL, text or multi-line column, Office 2010 and 2007 will open it in a client application while Office 2003 will open it in a browser. (It would be editable it the browser though.)

Switching to the datasheet mode will let you right click the link in URL and text columns and open the doc in client.

To make it happen in Windows XP (and Excel 2003 for example:


  • in window explorer / tools / folder options / ,file types, select doc mime type. 
  • in advanced, select the 'open' action, and uncheck the 'browse in the same window.' 
I don't have the combination of Windows 7 and Office 2003, but I found a page that suggests the following for Win 7 and IE9:
  • Open the Browser 
  • Select Tools from the Menu toolbar 
  • Select Internet OptionsSelect the Advanced tab
  • In the Browsing section, uncheck the Reuse windows for launching shortcuts 
  • (when tabbed browsing is off) 
  • Click OK 




 

Monday, March 04, 2013

User Permission Issue after Upgrade from MOSS to SharePoint 2010

I upgraded the customer's MOSS 2007 STD to SharePoint 2010 STD. One of the users couldn't make changes to library items any longer. It turned out that her permissions were correct. Also, she was the only user affected.
After a thorough research it turned out that something went wrong with her user definition in SharePoint.The only action needed to fix the issue was to remove her user from SharePoint, so that the next time she would enter the site SharePoint will bring her user definition afresh from AD.

However, this process is a bit tricky and therefore I decided it worth posting.

We used to be able to access the All People list in MOSS from a link, which for some reason is not available in 2010, where you can access only the group list. However, if you add to your domain name the string:
/_layouts/people.aspx?MembershipGroupId=0&FilterField1=ContentType&FilterValue1=Person
you can access the page, if authorized, and view the user list.
for example: https://sharepoint.mydomain.com/_layouts/people.aspx?MembershipGroupId=0&FilterField1=ContentType&FilterValue1=Person
(for more details on this step see Geoff Varosky's Blog)

When I clicked that specific user I got an error instead of getting that user details. After the deletion of the entry, the issue was solved.
If you can't see the deletion link, you may not be authorized to perform this action. In spite of being a site collection administrator, I couldn't do this operation until I logged in as a farm administrator (or more accurately, with the installation user).

Friday, January 11, 2013

Can I Setup an alert on a SharePoint 2010 view filtered by a workflow status?

I was trying to receive alerts from a list upon a failed workflow. So I created the filtered view by the workflow's status (as explained in the previous post), and clicked the Alert Me button. There I entered the setting and clicked the views' dropdown to apply to my new view.
What a surprise.... The view was missing from the view list. After several attempts I concluded that views that are filtered by a workflow status won't show in the Alert Me dropdown.
So I tried to cheat the system. I created a view, setup the alerts first, and than filtered it by the workflow variable. Unfortunately it didn't work. I was receiving alerts according to the original filter.
If someone has a solution for this issue it would be good to konw.

How to filter a SharePoint list by a workflow status

When you create a workflow on a list or library, SharePoint adds a new column to the list showing the workflow's status. You can add this column to a view and you can sort by it. However, when you try to filter by this column, to show only the Status = Canceled rows for example, you will get an emty list.

The reason is that the workflow's status is really a numeric value. So for the Canceled status you need to enter 15 and Completed = 5. I found this solution after I added the column to the view and exported the list to Excel. There I saw the numeric values.